Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Happy Bokeh Birthday

Shelly here with wishes for a Happy Bokeh Birthday!


 I have been seeing cards using this Bokeh technique, and you know me- I had to try it!
How to:
1)Spritz watercolor paper with water
2)Apply Distress inks to craft mat. I used Spun Sugar, Wild Honey, Tumbled Glass, Shabby Shutters and Dusty Concord.
3) Using a Paint brush or waterbrush, apply the colors to your paper in a random pattern. I applied the colors lightest to darkest.  Dab with paper towel if the paper is too wet or if puddles form- so the colors do not get muddy. The colors will lighten up when they dry.
4)Allow the watercolor paper to dry- or use a heat gun to dry it.
5)Punch out a stencil using paper punches or dies- I used cardstock for my stencil.
6)Using the lightest, mid color and darkest color, sponge on circles of color-again lightest to darkest- try to overlap the colors a touch. I added circles in various sizes, but try to remember that odd numbers are appealing to the eye- so sponge 3-5-7 circles of a particular color.
7) Tap on white ink thru the stencil. I  started with the largest circles and used lighter white on the largest circles and got darker with the white as the circles got smaller. I used watered down Gesso for the smallest circles.  I was also careful to dab on scrap paper to make sure there was no ink lifting onto my dauber that would get my white dye ink pad 'dirty'.
8) Add your stamped design
 * A tip I learned from Michelle Zindorf- to emboss using a color- stamp the color ink onto your stamp, then ink with clear embossing ink. Stamp onto cardstock, add embossing powder, then Viola- I quickly use a paper towel to wipe off the colored ink off my embossing ink- but it may have some staining. So, I have a 'clean' embossing ink pad and a 'dirty' embossing ink pad.

 I colored the cake with Copics Y11, G21, G24, R43, R46 and "0".  I added Stardust Gelly Roll Pen frosting and WInk of STella 025 Pink on the Cherry.

Products I used from the Sweet Stamps Store:


Our winners are chosen by Random.org- and if you use a Sweet Stamps image, your entry will count x's 2!

Sweet Stamps has a Pintrest board HERE

Sweet Stamps has a Facebook group HERE

Thanks for stopping by!
Shelly

4 comments:

Donna K said...

What a fantasitic techinique, Shelly! I'm loving this design! What a perfectly gorgeous birthday card!

Davi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Davi said...

Really beautiful background, makes the cake really pop on it :)

Sandy Fredrick said...

Wonderful birthday card, I love the background technique.