Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Framing a holiday Nativity



Good morning!Chrissy here, and I am so excited to be a part of the Globecraft & Piccolo team. My first project tutorial for you is a Nativity scene globe ornament. This project was fun to do.

See? Isn’t it just cool? 

This tutorial is pretty involved. The photos are of the completed steps. Are you ready to dive in and get messy? Let’s get started.


Christina Colón
The Twisted Muse

Supplies: 
  • Classic Fancy Rectangle Bubble Frame
  • The Christmas Story Accents
  • Mossy Glen Enamel Powder
  • Gilded Gold Enamel Powder
  • Piccolo Enamel/Embossing Powder Adhesive
  • Honey Mustard 3D Enamel Gel
  • Napthol Red 3D Enamel Gel
  • Titanium White 3D Enamel Gel
  • Metallic Silver 3D Enamel Gel
  • Metallic Gold 3D Enamel Gel
  • Burnt Umber 3D Enamel Gel
  • Fine Tip Applicator
  • Art Anthology Sorbet, Imperial
  • Folk Art Acrylic Paint, Navy Blue & Scintellement
  • Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, Iridescent Gold
  • Doodlebug Sugar Coat Glitter
  • Proflora Sheet Moss
  • Recollections Pearl Accents
I started with our G&P, The Christmas Story Accent pieces. I used my 3D Enamel Gels to color each piece and sprinkled glitter onto the gel while it was still wet then set the pieces aside to dry completely.

 
For the manger, I used Burnt Umber 3D Enamel Gel on the frame and the manger scene. For the roof, I wanted some texture. To achieve the right look, I applied the enamel powder adhesive to the roof. While the adhesive is still wet, sprinkle some Mossy Glen Enamel Powder. Using a heat tool, heat the powder until completely melted. You want the smooth texture of a complete heat set.

 
When your Piccolo pieces are dry, here is what they will look like.


Now it’s time to work on the frame. I used the large Classic Fancy Rectangle Bubble Frame, but you can use any of the large bubble frames. I recommend the large frames because the nativity scene will fit in the globe nicely without being overcrowded.

I wanted the base piece of the frame to have a starry night kind of look. I painted a couple coats of navy blue acrylic paint onto the piece. Once it dried, I applied two coats of glittery acrylic paint over the top of the navy blue.


The next step involves the layer that goes beneath the fancy frame. I applied a couple coats of Art Anthology sorbet. I like rich color so I used Imperial. Once I was happy with the coverage, I used my foam brush and dabbed the frame while the sorbet was still wet. This adds a nice texture and a velvety look. When the sorbet dries, spray with a light coat of glimmer mist. I used Iridescent Gold.


The last two layers of the frame are heat embossed the same way I did the roof of the manger. The last rectangle layer is embossed with Mossy Glen. The fancy frame is embossed with Gilded Gold. I also added some pearl embellishments to the frame.



By this time, the gel pieces are dry. Now it’s time to set the scene! 

You can use any material for the flooring of the globe; I used sheet moss from the craft store. I applied a good amount of clear-drying adhesive and just started globbing the moss on. Once the adhesive dries, use scissors to trim the excess and shape it the way you want. Glue the manger and the wise men onto the moss using the same adhesive.


I placed my star and two angels onto the blue painted base piece using the same adhesive. When all of the glued pieces have dried, glue the globe onto the blue base piece.


We are just about finished! Now time to put the rest of your frame together. Simply build the frame and glue each layer according to package directions. The finishing touch is your hanging wire or string. I used a silver twine and glued it to the back of the ornament.


Stop on over at my blog, The Twisted Muse, to see another G&P project I've been working on!

6 comments:

Frank Garcia said...

Fantastic! SUCH a beautiful scence! Love it!

Leah Crowe said...

Such a beautiful project!!

Art Resurrected said...

I just love miniature scene ornaments! What a lovely piece! :)

linda-neff.com said...

This turned out really nice! And, the colors are just gorgeous. I'm amazed at how well they show up!

Candy Spiegel said...

This is so beautiful!

Mae Lewis said...

This is utterly adorable!