Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Cuckoo ... cuckoo ... cuckoo


Hi! It's Candy back with another tutorial for Globecraft & Piccolo.

The Cuckoo Clock is one of the brand new products by Globecraft & Piccolo. Personally, I was excited to see it because I have always wanted a cuckoo clock. Granted, this one does not "cuckoo," but I did convert it into a working clock.



Candy Spiegel
Candy Scraps
Materials:
  • Cuckoo Clock
  • 3D Enamel Gels: Burnt Umber, Blue Pearl
  • Embossing Powders: 24K Gold, Vintage Copper, Vintage Silver and Vintage Gold
  • Glastique Matte

I started by punching out all of the bookboard pieces of the clock. Then I used a paintbrush to apply the 3D Enamel Gel in Burnt Umber to the base. By using a paintbrush, I was able to keep the gel light and transparent and the brush strokes help to create an illusion of wood grain.

For the door and bird stand, I applied the same gel directly onto the bookboard. This creates a rich color and provides a bit of contrast.


Then, I started coating each of the pieces with Embossing Powders. I used several different colors of metal-look powders, including 24K Gold, Vintage Copper, Vintage Silver and Vintage Gold.


Some of the pieces, like the pendulum, had large edges of bookboard that ruin the illusion of metal. For those, I used a bit of Glastique and smeared it on the edges with my finger. Once dry, I embossed like I regularly would. This provides a nice surface for the embossing powder to stick to and, when finished, gives the look of solid metal.


I wanted a bit more texture on the roof, so I dry embossed the pieces with a Cuttlebug embossing folder before embossing them with Vintage Silver (I did the same technique with a different folder to the weights).

Because Vintage Silver is a thick embossing powder, some of the dots ended up covered up with the powder, but I like that random, vintage look. If you did not want that to happen, you can use Siam Silver or 24K Gold or any of the micro embossing powders.


Once I had everything ready to put together, I thought the main part of the clock was a bit too plain. So I squirted a bit of 3D Enamel Gel (in Blue Pearl) onto my Non-Stick Craft Sheet. Then, I lightly tapped a stamp into the gel, moving it around until it was completely covered, and then carefully stamped it onto the surface.


I loved the results so much, I did it again ...


Then, it was time to assemble the piece. I glued everything together with Glastique Matte, so if I got a bit messy, no one would know once it was dry! 

I had my husband drill a hole the size of the clock mechanism I bought at Michael's and inserted the clock parts. Had I been paying attention, I would have chosen a different color for the clock face so it contrasted with the clock hands, but I can always take it apart and spray paint the hands!

I also added a small hinge from Graphic 45 to the bird's door. It's hard to see in this photo, but the door actually opens and closes.


Then, I added chains to hang the weights on.


And, here is my finished piece ...





I also made ornaments to commemorate the wonderful hunting achievements of my niece and nephew. You can check them out, here.


3 comments:

Denise Tretheway said...

I love this clock! You have such great imagination and do beautiful work!

linda said...

Cute clock. The hangy thingy's look real!

Sandra Henson said...

You da woman. Love it!