Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Capturing the Magic

Hello, Allie here to share a little Globecraft magic. The magic of OZ that is! As a little girl, I remember the first time I saw the movie. I had read the book, and many others in the series, and I was so excited. My mom and dad picked up some Chinese take out - and for the first time ever, we ate in FRONT of the TV! It was like a picnic movie party. Our TV was black and white, so the emergence to color was lost on me til later in life. I fell in love with Graphic 45's take on this Frank Baum classic, and I really enjoyed capturing some of Dorothy's friends for all time!

I got busy with some great products from Globecraft Memories, the  Grand Oval Globe and some Glastique.



Glastique
This glossy goodness isn't just for finishing.
It's an excellent adhesive as well.
I used it for adhering some of the layers inside my globe.

Grand Oval Globe Frame
This easy to assemble set comes with it's own easel stand and convenient holes and nails for lining up each of the layers. It makes the project a snap!


Overall, as far as difficulty, this was a very easy project. Do not be intimidated by the many pieces, or the globes! For the characters inside the Grand Oval Globe, I used two sheets of the paper from Graphic 45's The Magic of Oz Papercrafting Paper pad (8x8 double sided papers) that contained the main image. I cut the oval shape from one, and cut accent pieces from the other sheet so I could take advantage of the awesome amount of space inside the Grand Oval Globe. For the framed layers, I just chose different background papers from the same pad of paper.


Untitled
The Magic of Oz
designed by Allie Gower for Globe Craft Memories
To cut the background papers easily, I used a self healing mat and craft knife from Westcott to cut around the layers and the openings. I adhered most of the paper using SuperStik from Glue Arts - gluing the paper to the chipboard, letting it dry, and then cutting around the edges. I used Beacon's 3-in-1 to adhere some of the chipboard pieces together for final assembly, and also to attach the flowers. On some of the detail layers on the characters, I used Globecraft Memory's Glastique on the paper to paper, and 3M's foam mounting tape for raising areas. The tin man was cropped out of the project, so I actually cut out his head and placed it over the banner, and brought him back into the picture. I also raised up a part of his arm on two layers of foam tape.
Untitled

I inked around the edges of some of the ovals - on the paper and the hard chipboard edge, with ink from ClearSnap. 

The last touch was a little bling. I used strips from KaiserCraft and actually adhered them to the Grand Oval Globe, rather than the paper.

S U P P L Y   L I S T
  • Globecraft Memories Grand Oval Globe Frame
  • Paper - Graphic 45
  • Flowers - Prima and KaiserCraft
  • Gems - KaiserCraft
  • Adhesive - Glastique (Globecraft Memories), 3M Foam Mounting Tape, SuperStik from Glue Arts, and Beacon's 3-in-1
  • Ink - ClearSnap
  • Other - Westcott Craft Knife and Self Healing Mat
Thank you so much for stopping by to share a little magic with me.





Posted by Allie Gower.

3 comments:

Stephanie Lee said...

Very pretty project Allie! Fab job!

Michelle said...

Allie, I love the Wizard of Oz, and this is such a great paper line. I love how you made the Lion and Tin man 3D

Stacy said...

Allie this is so fun...now i'm singing the Wizard of Oz song :)